- NORRIESTOWN, lately a quoad sacra parish, consisting of parts of the three parishes of Kilmadock with Doune, Kincardine, and Port of Monteith, county of Perth; and containing 1284 inhabitants, of whom 105 are in the village of Norriestown, 3 miles (W. by S.) from Doune. This place takes its name from the original founder of the chapel of ease, Mr. Gabriel Norrie, who, in 1674, bequeathed funds for the erection and endowment of a place of worship, in connexion with the Established Church of Scotland. The district is about four miles and a half in length and three and a half in breadth, and is mostly arable land, with small plantations; a portion is good dry-field, and some is part of the beautiful carse which extends from Gartmore, on the west, to Stirling, eastward. The villages of Norriestown and Thornhill, pleasantly situated on the great road from Stirling to Port of Monteith, have been so extended as to form one spacious village. A post-office has been established; and a fair for cattle and for general purposes is annually held in January. The Goodie river flows a short distance south of the villages. The parish was separated by act of the General Assembly in 1834, and placed under the controul of the presbytery of Dunblane and synod of Perth and Stirling; the patronage being vested in the male communicants. The stipend of the minister is £95, arising from the endowment, consisting of two farms, by Mr. Norrie, and from lands purchased by subscription under authority of the General Assembly; with a manse, and a glebe valued at £24 per annum. The present chapel, the third erected on the same ground, and which serves as the church of the district, was built in 1812, at the cost of £1100, and is a plain but neat and substantial structure, containing 870 sittings; it was repaired in 1833. A bell was presented by Mr. Mc Gregor, and communion plate by Mr. Downie, of Appin. The members of the Free Church have a place of worship. There are two schools in the village, one of which is supported by the General Assembly, who, aided by some of the heritors, pay the master a salary of £22 per annum, in addition to the school fees; and he has also a good dwelling-house and garden rent-free, from the proprietor of the Blair-Drummond estate. The other school is solely supported by the fees.
A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. Samuel Lewis. 1856.
Look at other dictionaries:
Thornhill — 1) THORNHILL, a post village, in the parish of Morton, county of Dumfries, 14 miles (N. N. W.) from Dumfries, and 61 (S. W. by S.) from Edinburgh; containing 1416 inhabitants. This is a considerable place, finely situated on an eminence in the … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland